Sunday, June 04, 2006

Why Batukawa?

Yes, this is a photo of Batukawa, near Kuching in Sarawak,
Malaysia. It was taken during a flight from Kuching to KL in January 2003.

I actually spent my early childhood around the Green Road / Pisang Road area in Kuching. But my family often visited Batukawa because we had a very close relative there.

In fact, the lady was my grand father's only sister. My grand father died in an accident when I was very young, so our great aunt was our closest elder.

Her family owned a 5-acre property by the river and they used to run a business that manufactured yeast. They also supplied water to the town.

I had lots of cousins there and we all learned to swim in the river just off their private jetty. We swam, dived, jumped off coconut trees into the river, fish, paddle in a sampan, ..., you name it. We had lots of fun and I even swam across the river once just to proved that I could do it.

So Batukawa represents time in my life when life was simple, carefree and fun. You could say Batukawa is my Shangri La.

This Blog is therefore dedicated to finding "Batukawa" again.



9 Comments:

Blogger Chinky Chinese Chick said...

Er... I think a place always seems more "beautiful" when you are NOT staying in it *grins* Anyway, hope you remembered to eat the ice-cream at SunnyHill during your last trip :p

2:13 AM  
Blogger batukawa said...

Hi Chinky Chinese Chick, Thanks for dropping by.

Yes, you're right. Life is full of pluses and minues and sometimes we just don't see the minues when you only drop in for a short visit.

Fh2o seems to be have the right attitude. He seems to be able to look for and find the pluses around him.

Perhaps it's all in the mind.

About the Sunny Hill ice cream, I used to love it and it's everywhere in Melbourne. I now prefer frozen yogurt.

10:30 AM  
Blogger The Yongs said...

I was also brought up in Kuching... my parents are still living there. LEft Kuching for my A-Levels back in 1990... From tht point onwards, Miri became my second home...However, every CNY or major public holidays in Sarawak, we will be visiting Kuching. So that is at least twice a year!

Batu Kawa? Hmm, my school friend used to stay there once... seems so far from town last time! Also enjoyed my English tuiton at Sunny Hill School (is that what it was called?! I forget!) then.

Absence does make the heart grow fonder... well, at least I still get to go back to Kuching rather often.. Guess what I miss most in Kuching? Kolo mee and laksa and the lovely "White LAdy" drink, of course!! :D

3:18 PM  
Blogger batukawa said...

Hi Yongs, thanks for dropping by. Sorry for the late response. Being pretty busy at work lately.

Miri is a nice city. I have been there a few of times and have a number of relatives there. I am sure it's a great place to bring up a family.

I will actually be back in Kuching for 5 days in September before heading off to Beijing for a short holiday. Won't be going to Miri this time.

While in Kuching, I plan to try out kayaking in the Bau area with Fh2o's rainforest kayaking adventure.

Cheers

3:18 PM  
Blogger The Yongs said...

Just added your blog site to mine... hope you don't mind.

6:45 PM  
Blogger batukawa said...

No worries, Yongs, thanks. Looks like I better start posting seriously!!

9:26 PM  
Blogger Francis Ho said...

I'm so yesterday and only just realised that you had finally posted something this morning!

Congratulations batukawa and looking forward to more postings from you!

Cheers! :)

11:29 AM  
Blogger Chen said...

I'm Sarawakian currently residing & working in Penang. Drop by to say hi :)

11:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

hihihi nice to find you name batukawa....i am ah bao live at batukawa...i have my own domain name batukawa...hehe the site is http://www.batukawa.net you will love it...

1:46 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home